Water Conservation is for Everyone!
Efficient water use is part of living in Castle Rock’s semi-arid, high desert environment. Every drop of water counts - whether it’s pumped fresh from a well or saved through reduced lawn watering.
We used to say that wise water usage was something everyone could do. But now, it’s something that everyone must do. It’s the small, everyday decisions that add up to enormous water savings and allow our community to maintain its economic strength and its quality of life.
Did you know?
- More than 50 percent of the water used by households goes to maintaining landscapes and lawns.
- You can help reduce your outdoor water use, keep your landscape more attractive and healthy - and save money every month on your water bill - by upgrading your landscape sprinkler system with a “smart” controller.
- Efficient use of water helps prevent waste, lessens the effect of drought, and helps minimize run-off.
- As much as 70 to 80 percent of all plant problems are related to incorrect watering.
- According to landscape professionals, over watering is the most common problem in residential landscapes.
- Reducing the amount of water used for lawn and landscape maintenance is essential to protecting the water supply.
* This information provided by the Irrigation Association or www.irrigation.org
Everyday Tips for Becoming Water Wiser!
- Install a low flow toilet with dual flush buttons.
- Water your landscape longer but less often.
- Learn to read your meter to detect leaks.
- Turn off the water while brushing your teeth.
- Choose xeric plants for your landscape.
- Replace shower heads with not to exceed 1.5 gpm.
- Replace your old machine with a more efficient one.